Monday, January 21, 2008

Your kids are angels

Hi. I'm Jodi. My husband, Curt, and I have been teaching your kids collectively for about 30 years. They're angels come into our lives to inspire, teach, and humble. Seems like just yesterday when I landed my first faculty position at St. Mary's.

I'll never forget that first day, standing before a group of 36 sixth graders with all my knowledge, skill, hopes and dreams finally converging at this moment in time. I'd arrived. I was prepared.

I was without a prayer. Literally.

J: We always start with a prayer. (How could I forget this? I'm sorry, dad, for all those Catholic school tuition dollars spent to end in this disgraceful moment.)

Me: Oh, yes. Let's all stand for a prayer.

We all stood, made the sign of the cross, and then everything logical passed right out of my head. I think I was starting to hyperventilate because the room was spinning. All I could see were those 36 pairs of hands all (well, most) perfectly folded squiggling across my field of vision.

And that long, expectant silence. Jodi, just breathe. Don't pass out. Don't pass out. That would be so embarrassing! Just Don't pass out.

And then in a small, sweet voice, J began to pray. Thirty-five other voices joined hers in what was a most beutiful sound! I took that breath, looked up and saw my first group of 36 angels.

2 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

That is so sweet!

It's hard to read the info you have printed across the picture at the top of your blog. Maybe you could move it to the sidebar? It looks intriguing...

Jodi said...

Suburban,

Thanks for reading! I've been reading yours for a few days now...Sooo funny! Obviously, I'm new at this, and have NO IDEA of what I'm doing! I don't know how to fix the picture...yet.

My husband would like to see this...how can he get to my blog?